This week, I spent some happy time crafting mermaids for my Glitter Globe Home Decor Mermaid! 🙂
I’ve always had a vivid imagination. As a child I dreamed of being a mermaid (….. and Maid Marion, ….. and riding Pegasus the winged stallion). As an adult, I can still get in touch with that inner child. I love animated movies and was, just last weekend, to be found in the cinema, sobbing because Mama Coco passed away. It was all very real to me. I was right there – in the movie!
Spending time with my young grandchildren also allows my inner child to come to the fore when I spin magical stories to them. Making precious memories.
Image credit: Project Happiness (Facebook)
That’s why when I first laid eyes on the Myths & Magic Suite I was spellbound. How could I be otherwise! I just love it. It has all those wonderful little mythical characters of my childhood imaginings.
With my granddaughter’s 4th birthday imminent, I’ve been fixated on all things ‘Unicorn’ however this week, I was drawn to create a beautiful little Mermaid glitter globe for her. I was delighted how it turned out. The super sparkly Glimmer Paper just brought the magic I was looking for. I do hope you agree.
It was so easy, and great fun to make. This is the front view.
And this obviously is the back view.
Whilst there is only one mermaid stamp in the set, it’s easy to create the reverse/mirror image mermaid.
Here’s a quick You Tube video to illustrate this technique.
If you would like to make this for yourself, here is a ‘not so brief’ explanation of how I did it.
Home Decor Mermaid Glitter Globe:
The glitter globe can easily be purchased at Amazon or Ebay (I think those on Amazon were cheaper). Look for those sold to insert photographs. The bottom screws off and there’s a little ‘dry area’ inside where you can insert your artwork.
- Using the paper that comes already inside the glitter globe, use this as a template to cut the appropriate shape from a piece of Window Sheet. This will be the piece, to which you will adhere all your little elements.
- Stamp one mermaid with Memento Tuxedo Black Inkpad, as normal. Stamp a second mermaid using the mirror image technique.
- Colour the mermaids with your preferred colouring method. I used the new Stampin’ Blends as I absolutely love them. The Ivory coloured blender marker is a brilliant one to use for skin tone. You could use the fab Watercolor Pencils or the Stampin’ Write Markers, Blender Pens or Aqua Painters.
- Die cut one mermaid (assuming you’ve purchased the dies) however you will most likely have to fussy cut the mirror image mermaid.
- Die cut the teeny little sea horse (2 of). The sea plants are die cut with the leaves die from the super duper sparkly Glimmer Paper. A little tip:- normally you should die cut Glimmer Paper from the reverse (none glittery) side however I cut from both sides so that the leaves would be cut in a way that they were not all bending in the same direction. (if you know what I mean).
Now you’re ready to create the magic!
- Run a little tape along the bottom of your Window Sheet piece. To this you will adhere the sea plants. Repeat on reverse side.
- Adhere a little mermaid to the Window Sheet. You could use any adhesive of your choice. I used Stampin’ Dimensionals to give it some depth.
- Adhere a sea horse.
- Turn to reverse of Window Sheet and adhere your second mermaid and seahorse. Make sure to line up carefully behind the others.
- Now insert your finished piece into the glitter globe and replace the base.
Shake it up and show it to a child, then watch their eyes light up!
Now that’s Magic!
If you would like to find out more about the Myths & Magic Suite check out this post.
As always if you’ve any questions do drop me a comment and likewise feel free to drop me a comment even just to say Hi! 🙂