The Stampin’ Blends Alcohol Markers are wonderful for creating beautiful shading in your cards, turning even the most simple of cards into something very special. I have two simple but beautiful cards for you today illustrating how you can use these markers to bring that professional look to your colouring without having to spend a fortune on Alcohol Markers.
Stampin’ Blends Alcohol Markers:
Today I’ve used my Alcohol Markers to create very subtle shading on our lovely lady’s dress. This stamp is from a beautiful set I’ve been featuring in my classes this month. It’s called Wonderful Moments and if you’ve not had a chance to check it out, you really should. Just think, if you purchase this now, you can be creating your own Wonderful Moments project this time next week. It’s perfect for Wedding, Friendship, Birthday, Baby Shower/Congratulations. Thank You cards and more.
I’ve used the Ivory Alcohol Marker on her skin as it is just the most perfect tone for this. Even if you are not in to using Alcohol Markers, I would suggest you purchase the Ivory and Bronze Alcohol Marker for skin tones. They are just perfect shades. I used the Crumb Cake markers for her hair as it creates a beautiful dark blonde.
Wonderful Moments Project 1:
In my first Project I used the ever so gorgeous Calyspo Coral Alcohol Markers. These are so easy to blend and only 2 shades give this beautifully subtle effect. You could of course make the colours deeper by applying more colour. For embellishment I used my Hearts Confetti Punch on Calypso Coral cardstock however this punch is now retired so alternatively I would highly recommend checking out the Iridescent Sequin Assortment as this would just work beautifully with these cards.
- Cardbase: Thick Whisper White Cardstock 21cm x 14.8cm score and fold at 10.5cm
- Artwork: (lady) Whisper White Cardstock 3.5vcm x 7cm
- 1 Mat: Calypso Coral Cardstock 5.5cm x 11.5cm
- 2 Mat: Basic Black Cardstock 4.3cm x 10.8cm
- 3 Mat: Whisper White Cardstock 4cm x 10.5cm – this I lightly scored at 3mm each side. (this was easy to do using the Stampin’ Trimmer as I simply lined up the edge of the cardstock against the first line on the grey Stampin’ Trimmer Mat as this is exactly 3mm. The outer edge of the grey Stampin’ Trimmer Mat is exactly 5mm/0.5cm)
- Stamp the lady on to the Whisper White Cardstock using Memento Black Inkpad. (this is perfect for using with Alcohol Markers and Blender Pens)
- Apply a layer of Calypso Coral ink from your Light Calypso Coral Alcohol Marker (brush end) all over the dress. Now using the Dark Calypso Coral Alcohol Marker, apply some darker shades where appropriate. I applied it to her shoulders, back of her arm. armpit area (or thereabouts lol) and under her arm where it rests on her bump. You can, if you wish to blend these colours a little more, reapply the Light Calypso Coral Alcohol Marker all over the dress again. When the ink dries it will look much more subtle.
- Shade in the arms and face using Ivory Alcohol Marker. Don’t forget to shade in her fingers that are cradling the bottom of her bump! 🙂
- And now shade in the hair using the Light and Dark Crumb Cake Alcohol Markers.
- Fussy cut the lady using your Paper Snips then apply some ink, using the edge of a Black Stampin’ Write Marker, to the outer edge where the scissors have cut. This gives the fussy cut piece a great outline. Below picture shows how to do this.
- Cut and mat all your cardstock pieces. I like to use Multipurpose Liquid Glue for this as it gives me a couple of seconds wriggle time to get the pieces set straight. I’m useless at getting it straight first time with tape. Now adhere these to your cardbase. When adhering the lady to my matting I stuck it to line up with the Calypso Coral matting. Move it around the matting to see where you prefer it to be positioned.
- Stamp your sentiment underneath your matting. I like to use the Stamparatus for perfect stamp positioning however as these stamps are Photopolymer they are much easier to position even with your normal clear blocks.
- And finish with whatever embellishments you prefer. Job done! Easy and elegant!
Wonderful Moments Project 2 – Off the edge cutting:
- Stamp the lady on to your Thick Whisper White cardbase. placing her so that she is positioned about a third of the way in from the right and the top of her head is approx half way down the card.
- Now using your Stampin’ Trimmer, cut (in) from side at approx 3cm (down) to the top of her head.
- On a separate piece of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the lady again.
- Use your Basic Black Marker to draw the lines of her dress down to reach the end of the cardbase.
- Colour and shade as previous card.
- With your Paper Snips, fussy cut and adhere this piece over the image on the cardbase. Doing it this way means that the colour won’t show through the back of the cardbase.
- Fussy cut the outside edge of the lady up to the point where you’d previously cut down to the top of her head.
- Stamp sentiment on to Whisper White cardstock and mat and layer it as illustrated.
- Finish by cutting a slim piece of Bermuda Bay cardstock and adhering it to the inside of the card so that it shows on the outer edge.
- I also used the Basic Black Marker to create some faux stitching on this.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this little tutorial today. Check out THIS POST for more inspiration on wonderful moments.
Feel free to leave me some comments or questions. I would love to hear from you.
Until next time.